Wednesday 17 February 2016

Naming the Knights

So last night came the moment of judgement for me the moment I have been dreading......

That moment where I had to decide what to name each knight, give me tanks to name any day of the week.  To date I have gone with mostly biblical names but at the suggestion of my friend Ead I decided to look at the enochian language/angel names.  It sort of made sense, I am Mr Dee he is Dr Dee plus I have all the Exorcist Space Marines to paint as part of my Armageddon themed army and they are covered in enochian script....yesterday was Tenuous Link Tuesday in the Damien Household.  

So i read through them extensively; as well as looking at some notable Grey Knights from the fluff, and came up with the following 10 names for the 5 Strikes and 5 Interceptors:

Labac
Oyuab
Aavan
Galeo
Dixom
Arno
Solor
Torvin
Fidelis 
Dvorn

I painted all these on their respective left pauldron on the script scroll.

Also repainted the script on the 5 purifiers that are forming part of the army as their script is frankly shit.

These guys already have names which are:

Laban
Elon
Zabok 
Gillan 
Reuben 

Also started work on all the gold parts of all the models as well as painted the red housing on all the guns.  Although I am currently without a single completed model I am moving all of them towards completion so hopefully I go from 0 completed Grey Knights to 18 completed grey knights in flick of a brush

3 comments:

  1. Nice touch, very evocative. I only ever got as far as naming dreadnoughts in my army. By the way, Tommie Soule over on Dakka credited you, amongst others, for the help/advice you gave him for the amazing version of Ragmar Blackmane that he's completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers matey. As Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said "god is in the details", extra care taken in the little details make the overall picture that much better, in my opinion anyway.

      Oh did he? Tommie is a very good friend of mine. We have similar outlooks on painting, paint for enjoyment and just "because". None of this egotistical painting for competitions stuff, not that I have a problem with people that do that but competitive painting just seems counterproductive to what is in effect art.

      Although was have spoken about it during the painting, he sent me the finished pictures of Ragnar and asked me to "be harsh". My first thought, "are you fucking kidding me??". It is truly a wonderful and masterful job from the Mancunian Maestro.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it harks back to Jes Goodwin's original, but with a contemporary sensibility. It's a pity he hasn't updated his blog for a while (I don't use Facebook) because it was always worth a look - top drawer stuff.

      Delete